Monday 18 June 2012

Our Latest Work of Art: "WestCoast Watching"

Sullivan Heights is now the proud owner of a new piece of art!  The Aboriginal Scratchboard entitled "WestCoast Watching" was created by two students in our school, led by our Aboriginal Support Worker.
Below are their stories:
From Dallas Yellowfly, Aboriginal Youth Care Worker:
When I came to Sullivan Heights as the new Aboriginal Youth Care Worker I was eager to see something inspiring on the wall: something artistic, something eye catching, and of course something that showed Aboriginal culture in a positive light.
I met two students in Mr. Pelech’s art class that were willing to use their artistic ability and talent and help me with this idea. Instantly the project grew beyond my expectation.
I am proud to say that we will all be able to see the final result on the school walls soon!

From Alysha Collie, Grade 10:
When I look at this piece, I feel a great sense of accomplishment. Sometimes I look at it and think “Wow, I was capable to actually fabricate a part of this?” Without Dallas Yellowfly, this piece would not have been a reality. At first, he asked me my idea of doing a scratchboard art project with him. This idea would truly force me out of the boundaries I have with my art creations.
After partnering with fellow student, Willow Lietz, we needed to figure out was what this piece was actually going to contain. It was a mutual decision that we should do something nature related. Being a huge fan of animals, particularly the strong emotions I get from looking at a raccoon’s face, it could not be a better opportunity for me to use this animal in a project for the first time. Immediately at the idea of nature, I knew exactly what I wanted, and Willow had liked the idea of the symbolism behind the bear in Aboriginal culture.
We got to work and collected several images for inspiration. Finally we were able to find one that suited all of our expectations.

From Willow Lietz, Grade 10:
A great deal of effort went into the making of “WestCoast Watching”. The raccoon symbolizes the mischievous trickster within each of us and the curious nature we all carry. It represents a different part of each of our personalities that many of us don’t choose to make a focal point of. A raccoon applies a grave amount of importance to the cleanliness of its surroundings so naturally it does not accept something at face value. Instead, it takes one’s appearance and cleanses it in order to see it in its pure immaculate state. Much different from the raccoon’s personality, the bear chooses to focus on slightly different aspects of life.
The bear is viewed as a motherly figure and that which watches over and protects the well being of others. We chose to include the bear’s figure within the moon in a position where she was able to watch over the raccoon in order to portray her protective nature. The bear, in fact, was the symbol I was given according to the date of my birth. Both the sly and intelligent raccoon and the strong and motherly bear represent a common sense of balance each of us have within.


No comments:

Post a Comment